6.05.2007

In memory of someone who inspired me

Today while skimming through my CU alumni newsletter I was saddened to come across a familiar name in the "passings" section. The name of my boss my senior year in college.

Pat Roll was a remarkable woman to say the least. Very outgoing, friendly, energetic, the perfect hostess, and so creative. She cared about everyone she knew. She had a smile that could light up a room. I loved working for her (I was a student administrative assistant and receptionistat one of the departments in the engineering school). Pat was the executive assistant to the department head. She kept things running like clockwork and we all respected her so much for it. At the same time, she knew how to lead and inspire her staff and reward us for a job well done. One thing (and it's so darned silly) that I will always remember her for is teaching me a trick to getting off a ski lift without falling on my butt. I'll also remember how she would take time out of her busy day to help others out. Be it just needing an ear to talk through life's problems, to agreeing to be interviewed for a "review" I was doing for my Tourism Management class about the B&B she and her husband ran.

It's things like that, that inspired me. A positive outlook no matter what. Finding ways to be creative, friendly, and hospitable. Remembering that life is way too short to sweat the little crappy things that, if you let them, can ruin a perfectly good day. How to be firm and persuasive, yet eminating a sense that people can trust you and come to you with anything they have going on. How balance is the key to everything. In life. In work. Especially when getting off a ski lift with grace!

Sadly, Pat and I lost touch about a year and a half after I graduated. I think that was right about the time she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm upset with myself for losing touch, but at the same time, I thought about her often. I moved around so much right after college. Mostly off chasing dreams and having adventures. Still, all these years later I still think of her and remember her fondly. She's part of the "warm and fuzzy" memories I have of my last couple years at CU.

No comments: